Both minor and major toothaches can be extremely irritating and painful. It’s important to take care of any dental pain right away in order to not only alleviate the pain itself, but to prevent additional dental and general health concerns.
Here are some common causes of toothache to be aware of:
- Misaligned teeth — Teeth that are misaligned can press against other teeth and cause aches and pains. For misaligned teeth, it’s best to consult with an orthodontist about receiving braces.
- Cavities — Cavities can cause all sorts of dental problems, especially tooth pain. At least one in five Americans currently has one or more untreated cavities. In order to prevent any major pain from occurring as a result of an untreated cavity, there is one solution: go to the dentist!
- Consistent teeth grinding — Teeth grinding is another common reason for not only toothache, but even jaw, neck, and head pain. Grinding your teeth during the day is bad enough, but it can get really bad when teeth grinding happens while you’re sleeping. The best way to treat bruxism (teeth grinding) is to have a custom mouth guard constructed so you can wear it while sleeping. This will help relieve the stress being put on your teeth and mouth.
- Broken or chipped tooth — A broken tooth might seem insignificant, but it can lead to some serious pain. If you’re feeling pain in a damaged tooth, which means the fracture has made its way to the middle of the tooth, where the nerve endings are, and can cause severe pain.
- Gum disease — If you’re experiencing a dull pain inside your mouth, accompanied by red and bleeding gums, that could mean you have a serious infection. Gum disease can also lead to both pain inside your teeth and possible teeth loss. (causes of toothache)
Simply staying on top of your dental care can prevent major tooth pain. Even scheduling and receiving a teeth cleaning can help get rid of all that plaque and keep your mouth healthy and strong.
If you’re in need of quality dental care and want to alleviate and prevent dental pain, give Stateline Dental a call right away.