Approximately half of the entire U.S. population is unhappy with their teeth due to discoloration. Everyone strives for a bright, white smile, but it’s not always that easy to obtain. Unfortunately, there are a lot of mistakes people make when focusing on teeth whitening.
Here are some of the most common teeth whitening mistakes that will not help improve the look of your teeth:
- Whitening too often — A lot of people make the mistake of whitening their teeth too much with whitening strips, bleach, or other products. Doing this can actually damage your teeth and lead to even more discoloration issues. Consult with your dentist on how often you should whiten your teeth.
- Drinking too much coffee — There are people out there who spend thousands of dollars attempting to improve the color of their teeth but will drink a pot of coffee each day. Drinking too much coffee will surely stain your teeth, especially if it’s filled with sugar. If you’re serious about whitening your teeth, stay away from coffee.
- Using baking soda — For some reason, a lot of people believe that baking soda is a great way to whiten teeth. This is not the case. Baking soda won’t remove stains and can also weaken parts of your enamel.
- Whitening before brushing or flossing — Make sure you’re flossing and brushing your teeth before you whiten so you can get all that food and plaque out of your mouth. If you whiten before brushing and flossing, all that plaque will interfere with the teeth whitening process.
- Not receiving regular dental care — Just because you don’t currently have a toothache doesn’t mean you should skip visits to the dentist. Even if you’re attempting to take excellent care of your teeth, in order to ensure they are looking and feeling their best, you need to visit your local dentist for a thorough teeth cleaning on a regular basis.
If you want to learn how to actually improve the look of your smile and find great teeth whitening options, give Stateline Dental a call today.